Do you know that every year approximately 6 million people met with a car accident in the U.S.? According to the report of the National Safety Council, around 4.4 million people got injured due to a car crash in 2019.
That’s not it!
Every day on average more than 16,000 accidents occur. With such a high rate of mishaps, staying alert while driving has definitely become a necessity for all. Nonetheless, even if you stay cautious, you have no control over the other person. And that’s the reason why vehicles collide.
Consequences? Physical, mental, and financial damage.
But what’s next? You’ll call for an ambulance, check for all the damage and injuries, and file a claim with your insurance company. However, Are you aware of the legal rights you have as a victim of the accident? Yes, legal right! The U.S. civil court system has given the victims the right to claim financial compensation from the guilty driver.
Want to learn more about it? If yes, then fasten your seat belts for the ride ahead!
Types of Car Accidents
Before you file a claim, you need to understand the type of accident, which are as follows:
- Single-vehicle crash
- Multiple-vehicle accident
- Side wreck
- Parking lot accident
- Head-on crash
- Rear-end collision
Not satisfied with the information? Well, you can find out the details of the accidents at this law firm along with learning about the clauses related to them. For now, let’s focus on understanding the monetary compensation you are eligible to receive.
Financial Compensation You Could Potentially Receive
The damage a person suffers from an accident can’t be valued in money. However, ‘something is better than nothing,’ right? That’s why you should hire an attorney to file a case against the reckless driver. They can help you in proving your innocence and in getting any of the following claims.
- Medical Expenses: If the accident resulted in a major injury, then you can claim the medical expenses from the culprit. Generally, it includes the fee of the emergency room, doctor’s appointment, surgery, hospital care, etc. In fact, if you have a serious injury, you need time to heal and ongoing care. You can claim those expenses as well.
- Lost Wages: If your bruises are severe and, as a result, restricting you from returning to work, then you can claim for lost wages. The compensation is based on the period from the time of the accident till the conclusion of the case (lawsuit).
- Property Damage: The damage claim is not only about medical injuries. It also involves car damage. Needless to say that it is one of the biggest financial burdens that you have to bear. However, not on your own! By filing a property damage claim, you can get compensation for the car destroyed.
- Mental Anguish: Unsurprisingly, every accident, whether big or small, leaves a huge impact on the mind. Thus, with the help of you can claim compensation for the mental anguish such as fright, worry, grief, emotional distress, and many more.
To Sum It All Up
Car accidents are haunting, and it is not possible to accurately predict the damage they cause. Nonetheless, you must know your rights and take the help of attorneys to get the compensation. It may not be sufficient to fix everything, but it can provide you some relief both financially and mentally. And, that is what matters, right?