If you want to grow your business online, there are mainly two ways to do so. Firstly, a website, and secondly, an app. To know which one is the right fit for your business, keep reading further.
Before you apply any of these methods, you need to know the pros and cons of both the apps and the website.
The Pros of Having a Website
Websites can work best on an individual level. Through websites, your customers can be connected to you from their laptops as well as from their cell phones. It is one of the easiest investments you can make to digitize your business.
- Compatibility – There are a gazillion websites in total. You just need to type a keyword, and the result gets displayed within seconds with the top-ranking websites first. Query-solving websites that help the customers with different confusions are ranked on top because it has a large customer base.
- Broader Reach – A website has a greater reach compared to an app. It is because it has multi-device support features. AliExpress, OLX, Pinterest, Uber, and many other successful apps were first launched as a website.
- Support and Maintenance – A website is cost-effective when it comes to managing and maintaining it. A single version of an app cannot withstand the market if not updated and upgraded with time and technology. Apps need to be downloaded and updated periodically. Whereas, on a website, you can change the contents and edit them whenever needed. Once it is done, it is visible and formatted for all kinds of devices.
The Cons of Having a Website
Buying a domain and hosting it requires you to pay for it. And you need to pay for the creation and launch of an app so that all the skills are put together and displayed properly.
- Convenience – A mobile website can not leverage all the features properly, like cameras, GPS, calling, and other features that are mobile-friendly. These features are not well developed to be website friendly. A mobile app is much more suitable to use because it has less yet important information. A responsive website can adjust to the screen size but it is not convenient for the customers. The same features need to be readjusted to the screen size of the device, reducing the contents.
- User Experience – A user experience significantly differs in an app than in the form of a website. A single window restriction is what does not give your customers a friendly user experience. Also, sometimes it is not possible to fit all the features on one single page as it has a single page restriction.
- Offline Access – Any website you host requires the internet to work. You cannot access a website in offline mode. Even if you have built it light with the bare minimum requirements like with limited functionalities, it affects the user experience. Mobile apps also have two sides to them. Shopify app development can help you build an app from your existing website where it has its bright side as well as its downside.
The Pros of Having a Mobile App
Well, a mobile application is easy to handle on a daily basis. Also, it is easy to use and has an amazing user experience. There are many more pros to a mobile app. Read further to know more.
- Convenience – Shopify development services help you to analyze the application, making it more convenient to use them. Apps provide a better user experience as well because it loads the contents faster and it is easy to use. Adding push notifications and reminders within the app helps increase customer retention and customer loyalty.
- Personalization – Mobile app development like Shopify app development involves different screen sizes to fit properly and display it correctly in a well-formatted way on each screen. Apps that require daily use allow the customer to set their preferences. Like Pinterest personalized feed or Netflix rating system. It provides easy and much better ways to support and target your customers.
- Working Offline – Apps can work offline, providing your customers with the content and features they require without any internet connection.
The Cons of Having a Mobile App
A mobile app needs to be compatible and needs to be updated and upgraded periodically with the operating system as well as for different screen sizes as well. To know more details about these cons, read further.
- Compatibility – Mobile app development services provide proper functioning to meet the requirements of the customer depending on the individual operating system. Android, Windows, and iOS all require a separate spp version so that it is compatible with every OS and every screen size.
- Support and Maintenance – When an application is developed for different platforms, you need to continuously upgrade it with the new technology in the OS. You need to update all your users and notify them to update their app to use it for further use.
The question remains up to you whether you want to build a website for your business or an app. Shopify development services can help you build an app if you have a pre-existing website. Apps and websites both have their benefits and drawbacks. You need to choose the correct fit for your business as well as for your audience.